I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Victoria. I am also the Director of the Graphics, Artificial Intelligence, Design, & Games (GAIDG) Lab and a Research Fellow at the Institute on Ageing and Lifelong Health at the University of Victoria. I work within the broad areas of Graphics, Simulation, Artificial Intelligence, and Human-Computer Interaction. My primary research focuses are diversity in crowds simulations, locomotion & biomechanical modelling in human steering, multi-agent reinforcement learning, and human-centric artificial intelligence in simulation and design. The applications of this research cut across several fields including gaming, rehabilitation, architecture, urban planning, predictive design, safety analysis, inclusive media, assistive technology and more.
- Computer Graphics
- Deep/Multi-agent Reinforcement Learning
- Human-Centred Artificial Intelligence & Augmented Intelligence
- Agent-based Modelling
- Game Design and Development
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Virtual Reality
- Architectural Design and Optimization
- Assistive and Healthcare Technologies
- Behavioural Sciences
- Rehabilitation Sciences
The GAIDG Lab explores difficult problems in the representation, visibility, and decision-making of digital agents and humans. We create and innovate in human behaviour & movement modelling, human-centred artificial intelligence, game design, game AI, architectural optimization, augmented intelligence in complex design, assistive technologies, rehabilitative technologies, and more.
- Member ACM
- Member ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (ACM SIGGRAPH)
- Member ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence (ACM SIGAI)
- Member ACM Committee on Women
- Member IEEE
- Member Canadian Human-Computer Communications Society, CHCCS/SCDHM Special Interest Group within the Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS)
- September 7, 2021: Paper accepted at the 14th ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Motion, Interaction and Games (MIG 2021), PSM: Parametric Saliency Maps for Autonomous Pedestrians.
- September 6, 2021: Paper accepted at the 16th International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC 2021), DeepSolfège: Recognizing Solfège Hand Signs using Convolutional Neural Networks.
- July 1, 2021: Paper accepted at the ICML workshop Unsupervised Reinforcement Learning, MASAI: Multi-agent Summative Assessment Improvement for Unsupervised Environment Design
- June 15, 2021: NSERC Discovery Grant funded, my research program Diverse Synthetic Crowds in Media, Design, and Analysis will be supported over the next five years
- January 7, 2021: Invited talk at the IJCAI workshop Neuro-Cognitive Modeling of Humans and Environments, Learning to Move – Reinforcement Learning in Navigation
- September 23, 2020: Two papers accepted at 13th ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Motion, Interaction and Games (MIG 2020), (1) Deep Integration of Physical Humanoid Control and Crowd Navigation (2) Watch Out! Modelling Pedestrians with Egocentric Distractions
- August 25, 2020: Paper accepted for a Regular Issue in The Visual Computer journal, Modeling Distracted Agents in Crowd Simulations.
- July 23, 2020: Paper accepted for a Special Issue in Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds journal, Democratizing the Simulation
of Human-Building Interactions.
- July 1, 2020: I join the Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering at the University of Victoria as an Assistant Professor.
- April 29, 2020: Paper accepted at Computer Graphics International 2020, Modeling Distracted Agents In Crowd Simulations
- March 3, 2020: Paper accepted at SimAUD 2020, SimService: A Cross-browser Cloud-based Crowd Analytics Platform for Architectural Design Analysis
- February 28, 2020: Two papers accepted at the CHI2020 HabiTech Workshop, (1) Representative Synthetic Crowds for Inclusive Environment Design (2) Simulation-as-a-Service: A Cross-Platform Framework for Analyzing Human-Building Interactions
- February 27, 2020: I join the excellent Editorial Board of Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds Journal as Associate Editor
- November 11, 2019: Paper accepted at IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Gamification of Crowd-Driven Environment Design
- October 1, 2019: Paper accepted at NeurIPS 2019 Deep Reinforcement Learning Workshop, Multi-Agent Hierarchical Reinforcement Learning for Humanoid Navigation
- August 15, 2019: Paper accepted at IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Interactive Architectural Design with Diverse Solution ExplorationSeptember 6
Department of Computer Science
Office 568, Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) building
University of Victoria Victoria, BC